Up until November 2014, a bingo site that was totally based abroad with NO physical presence in the UK at all could be legal for UK players. This was because of the existence of the “UK Whitelist” which meant that gambling sites regulated in Malta, Isle of Man, Gibraltar, Alderney or Antigua & Barbuda were treated as if regulated in the UK.
The situation now is that UK bingo sites must have a licence from the UK Gambling Commission, and it is extremely easy to check whether or not they do, as they are also required to display a link to a page at the Gambling Commission which shows their licence status. But is it really that simple?
Do UK Bingo Sites Actually Have To Be Based In The UK?
Despite the requirement to have a UK licence, the answer is no, not really. They do have to have a UK office address where documents can be served, and they also have to pay tax in the UK on any transactions with players who are physically located in the UK but the bulk of operations, the servers and the chat hosts could perfectly well be located elsewhere and indeed many are.
Are All Licences Equally Good?
Again the answer is no. Most of the sites which were regulated somewhere on the whitelist were given UK continuation licences at the time of the regime change, but the UK Gambling Commission is much more draconian than the offshore licensing operations were and has been slowly cracking down on bad behavior ever since. The first high profile casualty was Metro Play and there have been many cases of multi million pound fines and other enforcement actions – details of which can be found by following the operator’s link to the Gambling Commission site. For example, the entry for 888 UK Limited contains details of the huge fine they incurred in August 2017.
UK Licensing Arrangements – Bingo Software Overview
The Virtue Fusion sites that belong to big British names such as Bet365 and Gala (and which offer other forms of gambling as well as just bingo and slots) have their own licences, while smaller ones such as Take A Break Bingo are covered by Virtue Fusion (Alderney)’s own licence. Sun Bingo and Fabulous Bingo are a special case, as their licence is held by a Playtech subsidiary company, VF2011 Limited.
There are no network licence arrangements for Microgaming; operators of Microgaming bingo sites have their own licences. Some of these cover multiple sites; Betway’s licence, for instance, covers Dream Bingo and Bingo on the Box and the Broadway Gaming licence that covers Butlers Bingo also covers several other sites.
The licence holder for all Gamesys powered sites is Gamesys (Gibraltar) Limited, at least for the time being. The high profile sale of some Gamesys sites to the Canadian Intertain group means that could change eventually.
The licence holder for all Cozy powered bingo sites, including ones that were previously managed by a third party, is ElectraWorks Limited.
Daub Alderney and Leapfrog
The licence holder for all Daub Alderney powered sites (e.g. Kitty Bingo), and for the three UK sites powered by Leapfrog (Jackpot Cafe, Jackpot Liner and King Jackpot), is Daub Alderney Limited, a subsidiary of Stride Gaming.
The UK Gambling Commission licence shows that the site is safe, fair, socially responsible and UK legal – but it’s not just about that, is it? There’s quite a difference, in terms of player experience, between a site that is UK licensed but run from India or Israel with chat hosts in the Philippines, and one that is run in the UK with British chat hosts. In other words, all UKGC regulated sites may be British, but some are very much more British than others and that’s where the feel of the site comes into play. Here are some of the signs to look out for:
Endorsements or guest appearances by British celebrities show that the site has a proper insight into UK culture. Endorsements include Barbara Windsor as the Queen of Bingo for Jackpot Joy and her successor Paddy McGuinness, and guest appearances include Big Brother winner Brian Dowling presenting Sun Bingo‘s live show and Paddy Power‘s Bingo with the Stars promotions.
* New members only, must opt in. Min £10 deposit & wager. 30 day expiry from deposit.18+. Free Spins: on Double Bubble. 1p coin size, max lines. Bingo: Advertised ticket value based on £1 tickets. Game availability & restrictions apply. *18+ BeGambleAware.org Please play responsibly #ad
* Deposit from £10. First deposit only. Any winnings can be withdrawn. Bonus money cannot be withdrawn. T&Cs apply. *18+ BeGambleAware.org Please play responsibly #ad
Support for UK Charities
Supporting UK based charities is a very strong indication of commitment to the UK. Sadly this is becoming much less prevalent now that the profits of the bingo operators have been squeezed by the POC tax. Mecca Bingo is one of the few sites still to have charity involvement in the form of the Rank Cares initiative.
* New cutomer must deposit and spend £10 on bingo within 60 days. £30 bingo bonus (1x wagering) £20 slot bonus on Reel King Mega (4x wagering) and £10 of club vouchers. T&C apply. *18+ BeGambleAware.org Please play responsibly #ad
Very British Advertising
Who could forget Paddy Power‘s pink pooping pigeon or Mecca‘s twerking cactus? In what other country would those ads even be considered funny?
* New Customer Offer only. Deposit and spend £5 on bingo tickets in the Bingo Client within 30 days of joining Paddy Power Bingo. Get £10 paid as Bingo Bonus (x1 wagering requirement), £15 as Slots Bonus (x10 wagering requirement) & 25 Free Spins (£0.10/spin) on Mystery Reels Megaways game. 1 per customer. Your age and mobile number must be verified before you can avail of his offer.Full T&Cs apply. *18+ BeGambleAware.org Please play responsibly #ad
Bricks and mortar presence in the UK
As Iceland Bingo and Sun Bingo show, this need not come in the form of anything gambling related. A well known chain of high street shops or a national newspaper will do very nicely, thank you! Of course there are also some big name bingo sites whose bricks and mortar presence in the UK is mainly in the form of bingo halls – e.g. Mecca Bingo – and Buzz Bingo and/or betting shops – e.g. Betfred. Another form of UK bricks and mortar presence is seen at Tombola – although they have servers in Gibraltar, their new £5m HQ is in Sunderland and they provide employment and training for a great many game designers and web developers in the North East. Then there’s Paddy Power – although they are an international organization whose head office is in Dublin, they also have offices in Hammersmith and 100+ betting shops in the UK.
* Deposit offer: New customers only. Deposit & spend £5 on bingo tickets (Bingo Millions variants excluded), get £15 bingo bonus and 50 bonus spins. Bonus spins can only be used on LuckyU slot at Buzzbingo.com. 1 spin = 5p (5 lines x 1p). Bonus is non withdrawable. Payment restrictions and T&Cs apply. Christmas Spinner: Promo runs daily 00:01-23:59 (BST) from 2nd Nov midday – 3rd Jan 2021 23:59. Wheel not available Mondays 00:01-11:59. Press “spin” on the game to play. Top weekly prize £3000 “Tech Bundle”. Max 1 play per customer per day. Winnings from bonuses paid as cash. £5 min. withdrawal on winnings. T&Cs apply. *18+ BeGambleAware.org Please play responsibly #ad
* First depositors only. Deposit & Stake £20 on Midnight Wilds slot game: Get 110 Bonus Spins on Midnight Wilds slot at 5p (5 lines x 1p) per spin. Jackpot cannot be won when using free spins. Customers will also be eligible for existing standard sign up bonuses if they stake an additional £10 on Bingo, see T&Cs for details. £5 min. withdrawal on winnings. T&Cs apply. 18+ BeGambleAware.org. Please play responsibly. *18+ BeGambleAware.org Please play responsibly #ad
Very British Prizes
You can’t get much more British than promotions offering Asda vouchers, Merlin passes, or trips to West End shows as prizes. If a site is offering these types of prizes on its promotions page, as was often seen at Sing Bingo and sister sites, that bodes very well for its having a truly British feel. Probably the best bingo site for this sort of prize is Gala Bingo; they frequently have prizes that money just can’t buy and perhaps the most quintessentially British of these was a day as an extra in Emmerdale for the winner’s pet – complete with hotel stay for pet and owner.
* 18+. New online customers only. Min 1st deposit & spend £10 on Bingo tickets = £30 Bingo bonus. Wagering reqs apply: 4x bingo bonus; Bonus valid for 1 week after credit. Payment restrictions & T&Cs apply. *18+ BeGambleAware.org Please play responsibly #ad
At Best New Bingo Sites all of our reviews are completely honest and written by industry experts. We aim to present all our offers as transparently as possible with a full explanation of the terms and conditions. We receive commission from the sites we feature and this may affect how prominently they appear on our site and their position in our listings.
*New members only, must opt in. Min £10 deposit & wager. 30 day expiry from deposit.18+. Free Spins: on Double Bubble. 1p coin size, max lines. Bingo: Advertised ticket value based on £1 tickets. Game availability & restrictions apply.
*First-time depositors only (UK exc NI, 18+). Min deposit £10. Max offer £30 Bingo Bonus, 20 Free Spins [game of our choice] & 150 Free Bingo Tickets [£50 Daily Treat]. Bingo Bonus & Bingo Tickets (granted in bingo bonus) winnings must be wagered 4x. Bingo Tickets expire after 7 days. Free Spins [FS] winnings are credited as bonus funds with 40x wagering. Slots Bonus winnings, if applicable, will be capped at £100 + original bonus amount. FS winnings cap: £2.00. Wagering contribution varies by game. FS expire after 7 days. Promo code: LEAFY. We reserve the right to deny promotional offers based on abusive bonus activity across sites operated by the Company. Deposit balance available for withdrawal at any time (UK only). General withdrawal restrictions & full T&Cs apply. Valid until 31/12/2021.
*New players only making their first deposit. Min deposit £10 using promo code: BINGO. Max £30 Bingo Bonus (5x wagering on dep + bonus, 4x conversion) + 40 Spins on Starburst (40x wagering, 4 x Conversion). Free Room available for 7 days from the day after your first wager of at least £1 on bingo. Max 6 tickets per game. Valid until further notice. Full T&Cs apply.
**18+, BeGambleaware.org Minimum deposit £10, maximum bonus £20. You must wager your bonus 40x to make it withdrawable. Free Spins are credited on Starburst in batches of 10 over the next four working days and carry a 15x wagering requirement. Bonus will expire after 7 days of opt-in.
*New players only (UK, 18+). Valid until further notice. Min deposit £10. Max Bingo Bonus (BB) £50. BB WR:x4. 30 FS on selected games. FS term: 7 days. FS wins are granted in games bonus [GB] and capped at £2. GB is valid on selected games only.GB WR: x80. GB wins cap: £100 + bonus amount. WR vary by game. UK - deposit bonus is available for withdrawal at any time. Donation to charity: THL will match 20% of first deposit (up to £5) as a donation to NHS Charities Together. We reserve the right to deny bonuses based on abusive activities. Withdrawal restrictions and full T&Cs apply
*First-time depositors only (18+ UK Only - excluding players based in Northern Ireland). Min Deposit £10. Max Offer: 100% Bonus up to £25 Bonus Plus 25 Free Spins. Promo code: BAZAAR Bonus winnings must be wagered 60x Games bonus winnings will be capped at £100+ original bonus amount. Free Spins are valid for 7 days. Free Spins winnings are credited as bonus funds with 40x wagering. Free Spins winnings are capped at £2.5. Wagering contribution varies by game. We reserve the right to deny bonuses based on abusive bonus activity across sites operated by the Company. Deposit balance is available for withdrawal at any time(UK only). Odds of winning vary between players depending on gaming and deposit activity. General withdrawal restrictions & full T&Cs apply. Valid until 31/12/2021